Chicken Biryani Recipe is very popular Hyderabadi dish. You can substitute chicken with lamb to make lamb biryani. Biryani is a type of dish where the rice is cooked separately from the other ingredients. Learn how to make this Indian delicacy in a few easy steps by following this Chicken Biryani Recipe. Chicken Biryani may be served with dahi chutney or Raita, korma or curry.
# 2 cups rice, washed and drained
# 5 cloves garlic
# 1 inch piece of ginger
# 5 dried red chillies
# 2 medium onions, sliced into rings
# 2 medium tomatoes, diced
# 5 mint leaves
# pinch of saffron
# 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
# 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
# 3 tbsp butter
# 3 pods cardamoms
# 3 cloves
# 2 inch stick of cinnamon
# salt to taste
- Make a paste of the garlic, ginger and chillies in a food processor.
- Saute the onions in the butter or ghee until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the onions, and put them aside.
- Put the ginger-garlic-chili paste into the same pan and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken and saute for about 5 minutes.
- The chicken should be about half cooked at the end of this step.
- Add chopped tomatoes, cloves, cinnamon, cardamoms, turmeric, mint leaves and salt and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add a little water and cook until the chicken is almost cooked.
- Now add the rice and potatoes.
- Add the rest of the water and simmer covered, on a very low flame for 15-20 minutes, until the rice is cooked.
- Serve hot, garnished with the fried onions